Clearly dodds can't help himself from lying as the provenance "history" he states for the bogus 'bellini'
"Provenance: Bausback, Mannheim, a private Austrian Collection, and Michael Franses, London from whom I purchased the carpet"
The truth of its history, minus the franses connection which we supposed but could not prove until this evening and which we revealed long ago on RugKazbah.com, is as follows:
1. the 'bellini' was exhibited by Bausback in a for sale gallery exhibition in 1981, as well as published in the Bausback catalog for that exhibition.
2. It was purchased from Bausback during the exhibition by the noted Austrian Collector Heinz Planner
3. It was then exhibited by Planner in the Austrian Collector's Club exhibition "Antike Anatolische Teppiche aus Osterreichischem Besitz, 1983, p.64, pl.7
4. Sometime during the exhibition Planner began to doubt the rug's dating and authenticity and after the exhibition returned it to Bausback and got another rug in trade. RK spoke directly to Planner and this is what he emphatically told us.
5. Bausback then returned the rug to franses from whom he had it on consignment. We also spoke to Bausback and while he did not tell us he got it from michael franses or returned it to him he did corroborate what Planner told us. At the time we suspected franses was the source of the rug but could not get Bausback to admit it. Now it is clear michael franses was the consignor.
6. Sometime in 1984 franses gave the rug to dodds, along with some other pieces and some cash, to settle the account he owed him at the termination of dodds's being the US representative for that rag hali.
This, and not dodds website's fallacious account, is the true history and provenance of the now LACMA bogus 'bellini'.
We should add, as astute RK readers well know, dodds tried unsuccessfully to sell the bogus 'bellini' for 20 years until he finally was able to pawn it off on the trusting Dale Gluckman, who lost her job believing dodds's lies.
"Once a liar, always a liar" is an old expression, and one that described dennis dodds so well.
"Wait long enough and the truth always comes out" is another and RK has now come full circle in our exposing dodds deceitful actions and michael franses role in this unsightly and embarrassing affair.